The Association of
Public Relations Officers
and Bulletin Editors
Society for the Preservation and
Encouragement of Barber shop Quartet
Singing in America, Inc.
Bruce T. Anderson
2010 So. 26th St.
Lincoln, NE 68502-3025
Tel. (402) 435-0974
VICE PRESIDENT FOR PUBLIC RELATIONS
2130 Apple Tree Drive
Ontario, NY 14519-9726
Tel. (315) 524-8015
VICE PRESIDENT FOR BULLETIN EDITORS
3275 S. Stafford St.
Arlington, VA 22206
Tel. (202) 408-7500
VICE PRESIDENT FOR MEMBERSHIP
248 E. Southwest Pkwy #1122
Lewisville, Tx. 75067
Tel. (972) 221-0260
57 Calle Cadiz, Unit F
Laguna Hills, CA 92653-3941
Tel. (949) 380-0732
IMMEDIATE PAST PRESIDENT
8110 Skillman #2003
Dallas, TX 75231
Tel. (214) 553-KERR
1017 Meadow Drive
Norwalk, Iowa 50211-1215
Tel. (515) 981-0057 home
(515) 270-8048 business
(515) 270-8056 FAX at business
7930 Sheridan Road
Kenosha, Wisconsin 53143-5944
Tel (800) 876-SING (7464)
PROBEmoter is published quarterly and distributed
by mail to all PROBE members. Membership in PROBE
is open to anyone. Dues, $10.00 per year, are managed
by the secretary-treasurer, and are payable by
individuals or chapters.
Correspondence about PROBEmoter, content and
contributions for publication should be sent to the editor.
Beginning with the July-September 2003 issue, only a brief summary of the content of articles will be available online. The executive board made a decision to distribute full content only to PROBE members, and they will receive a copy in the mail, as always. For the time being, other content on the PROBE site will remain available to all.
Those interested in the full text of articles can join PROBE by contacting Dick Girvin (contact information at the left), or online (link is on the main page of this site).
(in this issue)
- With progress come changes; input needed
- President Bruce Anderson traces the art of bulletin editing from (literal) cut and paste operations to online bulletins, and looks to the future.
- Outstanding Achievement Awards (OAA)
- VP - Marketing and PR Brian Moore calls for nominations
- PROTY - 2003
- Brian Moore explains categories
- PROBE Annual Meeting
- Tentative agenda is posted.
- PROBE conclave information
- VPBE Jerry Kindred provides an agenda and asks for input for Louisville meetings.
- ONLINE IBC
- VP-Membership David Wagner explains the rules, process and some of the rationale behind scoring categories for the new online bulletin contest.
- Notice: SPEBSQSA, Inc., is our official, legal name for the Society!
- Brian Moore discusses SPEBSQSA, Inc. v Barbershop Harmony Society and more. When do we use what and why?
- Website update
- Webmaster Arnold Wade provides usage statistics and calls for additional submissions.
- A few thoughts about performing, good manners and good relations
- Robb Ollett discusses making the most of PR opportunities during (and after) performances.
- Bulletin editor craft
- Editor John Petterson takes on the pesky comma.
- J-School: Layout
- Tom Pearce is back with a practical article about getting the most from the way you lay out your pages.
- How to inform, record, reflect, recognize, educate, promote,
recruit and encourage with a weekly bulletin
- Former VP-BE Grant Carson presents a winning format for the weekly bulletin.
- What is STYLE?
- Jerry Kindred puts the style in the Grammar and Style judging category.
- Take credit for a job well done
- Reed Sampson tells why it's not enough to do good things. PR means letting people know about it.
- Did you? Did you? Did you?
- Ed Hinkley asks what you have done for your chapter lately.
- Ring Lardner enumerates six deadly sins of close harmony
- Tom Pearce did the research for this classic bit.