Chapter Marketing and Public Relations Officer
Creation Authority: Standard Chapter Bylaws
Elected: Chapter Election if over 25 members in Chapter - Under 25 members appointed by President
Term: 2 Year Commitment at a minimum (renewable)
Definition of Job:|| Marketing is developing, delivering and packaging a message or product for sale.
Public Relations encompasses a variety of marketing activities that strengthen your credibility, enhance your image, and develop good will. These are usually targeted at an audience. Public Relations involves communicating who you are, what you do, why you do it, and how you make a difference.
The commitment of a Chapter Marketing and Public Relations Officer should realistically be for two years because of the ramp-up time needed to ensure the strategies and or tasks for the chapter's approach to marketing and public relations programs would be successful only with long-term stability. |
The Vice President should be cognizant of the fact that media relations are being developed and cultivated which would diminish with a perception of revolving door staffing on the chapter's part. Succession planning (training your replacement) is essential in carrying out the commitments made from one year to the next and seeing programs to fruition.
Desired Background Capability:
- Society Member for at least three years other than the Frank H. Thorne Chapter
- Thorough knowledge of the mission, history and programs of the Society and his chapter
- Excellent communication and relationship building skills
- Willing to be held accountable of his performance to the Chapter Board
- Ability to think outside the box
- Marketing and or public relations experience is a plus
- Chapter Marketing and Public Relations Officers are encouraged to form a committee to assist them in carrying out their responsibilities
- Create promotional material and work with outside vendors such as graphic designers, printers, photographers to make sure all communications reflect the standards and mission of the chapter and society
- Prepare and distribute all communications/promotional materials:
- News releases
- Chapter/District bulletin stories as needed
- Insist the Chapter pay for you to join the Public Relations and Bulletin Editors (PROBE) group
- Build relationships between chapter and media, local community, civic organizations and other Society chapters
- Attend COTS and, when possible, other training seminars
- Develop a public relations/marketing plan to communicate with internal (e.g., chapter members, auxiliary, Society) and external (e.g., the public and media) audiences and promote the chapter and the Society.
- The marketing plan should have:
- Methods for evaluating success (Metrics)
|Budget|| Chapter Treasurer|| Chapter President ||November - Two months before taking office|
|Work plan/status|| Chapter President|| Chapter Board|| Monthly|
|Budget Updates|| Chapter President|| Chapter Board|| Monthly|
|Work Plan|| Chapter President|| Chapter Board|| January - first Chapter Board Meeting|
|Membership Promotion|| VP Chapter Development|| Chapter President|| Monthly|
|Interchapter Activities Promotion|| VP Program|| Chapter President|| Monthly|